Wednesday, March 09, 2005

And so on...

I once had a run where a guy chewed on a morphine patch. He was at a homeless clinic, out cold in the waiting room. He was blue, breathing a couple times a minute, pinpoint pupils. We gave him some Narcan and of course he came right out of it. I started right in on him, "How much Heroin did you do?"
"None" he said, "I don't do that kind of stuff".
"Don't lie to me, you think I just started this job?" I even went into the speech about how the drug we gave him only counteracts narcotics.. blah blah blah.
"I don't do that stuff" he insisted.
I told him "Fine, it'll all come out in the autopsy".
Well, turns out he was standing there that morning and another guy gave him this patch and told him to just pop it in his mouth and chew on it, it'd give him a buzz. I guess that's not a good idea cause buzz him it did, right into a Morphine OD. He didn't know what it was, or what it'd do. Let that be a lesson to you, don't just pop any old skin patch into your mouth and chew on it. Besides, I wouldn't think it'd taste good...

A few other lesson's I've learned...
The more tattoos you have, the harder it is to kill you.
The fewer teeth you have, the harder it is to kill you.
The drunker you are, the harder it is to kill you.
The less you work, the harder it is to kill you.
Now I'm not saying that if you have a lot of tattoos, just a few teeth, a good binge going and are out of work you'll live forever. Chances are that you'll die from some illness at an early age, but, it'll make you like a cockroach, hard to kill. I've had patients in the medic, treating them for GSW's, see a scar across their belly and ask em what that scar is from. "Oh, that's there from the last time I was shot".

Another lesson...
Don't go to a large town, drive into a government funded, low income housing project and ask for directions.
I'll bet I've personally been on 6 runs where we'll have a young kid in a nice car, windows shot out, GSW to the back. I'll ask em what they're doing over in the projects. "I just stopped and asked a group of guys for directions cause I'm lost and they just started shooting at me". "Riiighht... did I mention it's my first day?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home